Did our on the hard anti-mold preparations deliver good results? What boat jobs did we get taken care of while away from Britican? And is it possible for masts to hit in a big swell when tied up on a jetty? Watch our latest video to find out answers to all these questions.
After our boat was safely on the hard in Trinidad we left for two months during hurricane season and the returned. If you missed our last video where we prepared the boat to be taken out, check out: Hauling Out, Med Mooring & CopperCoat Update
Boat Life On The Hard, In The Water & A Mast Hitting Swell (Video)
- DampRid Moisture Absorber (on Amazon)
- Lavender oil (on Amazon)
- Simon’s Tshirt: If you want to tack well you’ve got to be good between the sheets
- Find Concrobium, the mold inhibitor mentioned in the video on Amazon/Concrombium. (Mentioned in the last video to prevent mold from growing while Britican was on the hard)
- Get to view our videos early AND have access to premium video content for as low as $2 a publication. Check out our offering on Patreon/SailingBritican.
- Buying a boat soon? Already have the boat and getting ready for your first passage? Make sure you set yourself up for success. Get personal consultancy from Simon and I through our Members-Only Britican Club.
- Come sailing with us on Britican! Learn what the Liveaboard lifestyle is all about – experiences are created around your objectives. Would you like to do a night sail? How about checking into a foreign country? Do you want to nail down passage planning, anchoring and grabbing a mooring ball before you head out and do it by yourselves? Sign up for the Britican Experience
Boat Life On The Hard & In The Water
The first month, August, we flew to the UK where we joined our dear friends for a trip to Cowes to enjoy Cowes Week, a major sailing event. Simon’s dad joined us too.
Cowe’s is where America’s Cup started.
It’s also a spot that Simon and I sailed to often when we had our 35’ Moody berthed on the South Coast of England. Simon and I reminisced about our many experiences and voyages made in the Solent.
After visiting all our friends and family in the UK, we went to North Carolina to see my brother and his family. Sienna enjoyed loads of time with her three cousins. We then took a trip to Charleston, South Carolina, where we lived in the Charleston Harbor Marina for a year. It was great to see all our dear friends that we left the year before.
And then the plan was to fly down to Florida with my brothers family to meet up with our father before finally heading back to Trinidad. Simon and I decided to, however, head down a few days earlier to surprise my nephew, Nate, and Sienna with a special treat. We took them to Universal Studios.
We had a blast. Then we spent time with my dad and had a great time.
Before heading back to Trinidad we filled up our bags with boat parts, plumbing and electrics, homeschooling supplies and bedding.
Once in Trinidad, we finished boat jobs on the hard and once back in the water including:
- Change of six through-hull fittings
- Another full application of CopperCoat antifoul
- Cockpit table and saloon table varnished
- New fittings put on the exhaust (to eliminate those ugly black exhaust marks on the hull)
- Genset servicing with new heat exchanger and hose
- Engine raw water clean out and some new hoses
- Solar rack above the davits, solar panels, and controller
- Complete overhaul and servicing of the propeller
- Polish the hull
We videoed quite a few jobs of these jobs in detail.
In future posts we cover adding a steel frame and solar panels to our boat and talk about our decision to add solar power. We will also show you how to fully service a marine diesel generator including taking off, cleaning and eventually replacing our heat exchanger. Also, we also have a full video about servicing the propeller with a great little tip on greasing it while it’s under the water. And finally, there’s a video all about Peke’s Marina in Trinidad.
Subscribe to our Britican Newsletter to make sure you get our weekly email updating you to new articles and videos.
|THE BRITICAN EXPERIENCE - A LIFE CHANGING WEEK-LONG LIVEABOARD EXPERIENCE|
|Join us on Britican for a week-long liveaboard sailing experience. Each experience is created bespoke to you/your partners/your families needs. Learn how to sail at night, plan passages, and/or book into foreign countries AND enjoy the sun, sand and sea of the tropics. We teach singles, couples and families what it truly is like to live the liveaboard lifestyle. Let us help you to make your dreams come true! Click here for more information. And find out about our Members Only Club too.|
Any questions, comments or feedback?
Please leave it below. I often respond quicker to website comments than I can over email. And any contribution is appreciated.