Onboard Britican we have laminated checklists to help our guests learn the ropes. One of our shorter yet still valuable checklist’s is the After Passage Checklist. This checklist helps our guests have a role and know where to help out. We also use other checklists including Below Deck Pre Passage, Saftey Pre Passage, Above Deck Pre Passage and Systems On Pre Passage checklists when heading out to sea. Copy this checklist, alter it to suit your needs and use it on your boat 😉
To get a fully customizable copy of all our checklist, purchase our most popular guide, ‘Checklists For Sailors‘ in our online store or on Amazon (view all links below).
After Passage Checklist
- Position crew and explain roles and responsibilities:
- If anchoring: Helmsperson/Anchor Crew/Communications Crew/Spotter/Diver
- Arriving at a mooring ball: Helmsperson/Mooring Crew/Communications Crew/Spotter/Diver
- Arriving at a dock: Helmsperson/Aft Crew/Forward Crew & Springs/Roving Fender Crew/Spotter
- Secure the boat (and if at an anchor or mooring ball, dive to inspect holding)
- Once the boat is secure, shut off engine and electronics
- Cover navigation equipment (gray covers)
- Tidy halyards, sheets, warps, and any other lines
- Tidy cockpit and clean
- Put sail away in the sail bag
- Wash salt off windows and stainless steel. If in a marina, wash whole deck and hull
- Plug into electrics (if at a marina)
- Clean any mess below (dishes in the sink, stow life jackets, vacuum, and make sure boat is clean and tidy)
- Ensure a final log in the logbook and put away
What do you do on your boat? Or what will you do as an After Passage Checklist?
This is what we do on Britican. Other boats have different procedures – what do you do differently? Now that we’re having guests join us on Britican for our week-long Liveaboard Experiences, it’s been great to formalize what we do and how we do it so we can pass over a blueprint for success.
And if you can’t join us to experience the real thing, we offer our Checklists for Sailors in the following places:
- Our Shop (Digital): https://SailingBritican.com/shop
- Our Etsy Shop (Hard Copy): http://Etsy.com
- Amazon US (Digital and Hard Copy): http://amzn.to/2jf68I6
- Amazon UK (Digital and Hard Copy): http://amzn.to/2hmWrXF
- Other Amazon’s: Just search for ‘Checklists For Sailors’
Check out our other Sailing Checklists here!