If you have the opportunity to take your child or children to a foreign country, there’s obviously a massive learning opportunity. I created this ‘Homeschooling: Learning while Travelling to Foreign Countries’ Checklist for my daughter, however I think that the rest of the family will benefit just as much!
Similar to a treasure hunt, this ‘Homeschooling: Learning while Travelling to Foreign Countries’ checklist has a list of items that need to be discovered. Discovery can happen by taking pictures, recording videos, collecting ticket stubs, postcards, flower pressings, and anything else that will help to build up a full picture of a particular country. Carry this list around, in addition to a notepad and pen, a camera/video recorder and perhaps a bag for collectables!
Homeschooling: Learning while Travelling to Foreign Countries
- Map of world with country highlighted
- Map of country
- Major cities
- How to say, ‘Hello,’ ‘Goodbye,’ ‘Please,’ and ‘Thank you’
- Type of government
- Major exports
- Historical events
- Famous people (Artists, authors, inventors, scientists, musicians, etc)
- Contributions to humanity
- People’s values – what do people of the country value most?
- New foods and drinks
- Local dishes/recipes
- Geology/Land/Terrain (Mountains? Valleys? Desert?)
- Views we like! (take pictures)
- Similarities to our culture
- Differences to our culture
- What we like about the country
- What we don’t like about the country
- How we left the country better than we found it
- List of all the places visited
- Memory log (jot down good memories and fun times)
- New friends (pictures of new friends)
- Restaurants/services we like!
- What we think of the marina/moorings
If you like checklists check out my book entitled, ‘Checklists for Sailors – Passage Planning, Sailboat Maintenance, Cleaning, Medical and More. Making it easier to enjoy sailing your sailboat.’ To get more information on all my books and details how on how you can purchase them, please visit my Sailing Books Page.