A live aboard cruiser is a person who lives on a sailboat, typically a blue water sailing cruiser, as their primary residence. This lifestyle is often referred to as “liveaboard cruising.”
A person who chooses to live aboard a sailing cruiser is often someone who has a deep love of the sea. They also have a desire for adventure. They may be retirees who are looking to live a more relaxed and simplified life. They could also be younger people who are looking for a different way of living; especially if it allows them to travel and explore new places.
Live aboard cruisers often have a strong understanding of sailing and navigation. This is because they rely on their sailboat as their home and means of transportation.
They must also be skilled at maintaining and repairing their boat, as they are responsible for all aspects of its upkeep.
Living aboard a sailing cruiser requires a certain amount of self-sufficiency. This is because these individuals often have limited access to amenities like grocery stores and medical facilities. Cruisers must be able to manage their resources. This includes things such as water and fuel, and have the ability to handle emergencies and unexpected situations.
A live aboard cruiser is a person who is passionate about the sea, is self-reliant, and is seeking a unique and adventurous lifestyle.
How to become a live aboard cruiser?
Becoming a live aboard cruiser can be an exciting and fulfilling way to live life. This lifestyle provides a unique opportunity to travel and explore the world’s oceans while living aboard a sailboat. If you are interested in pursuing this lifestyle, here are some steps to help you get started:
- Learn to Sail: Sailing is the foundation of the live aboard cruiser lifestyle. If you do not already know how to sail, you will need to learn. Consider taking a sailing course, joining a sailing club, or finding a friend to teach you the basics. It’s important to understand the different types of sailboats and their capabilities. Also, learning basic sailing skills like reading the wind and tides are required.
- Choose Your Boat: The type of boat you choose to live aboard is an important decision. Consider the size, layout, and features you need for a comfortable living space. Factors such as seaworthiness, durability, and storage space should also be taken into account. Make sure to research different boat models and consult with experienced sailors to find the right boat for you.
- Prepare Your Finances: Living aboard a sailboat requires a certain level of financial stability. You will need to cover the cost of the boat, maintenance, and repairs. Additionally, expenses such as insurance, docking fees, and food are factors. It’s important to create a budget and ensure you have enough money to sustain your lifestyle.
More on how to become a live aboard cruiser?
- Get the Necessary Certifications and Licenses: Depending on where you plan to sail, you may need to obtain certifications or licenses. These could include a sailing license, a radio operator, or a medical certificate. Research the requirements in the areas you plan to sail and ensure you have the necessary documentation.
- Plan Your Route: One of the advantages of living aboard a sailboat is the ability to travel to different destinations. Plan your route carefully, taking into account weather patterns and currents. Additionally, ensure you have adequate supplies and fuel for the journey. It’s important to have a good understanding of navigation and chart reading, as well as communication skills, to ensure you can stay in touch with other sailors and port authorities.
- Consider Your Daily Needs: Living aboard a sailboat requires a different lifestyle than living on land. You will need to be self-sufficient, with the ability to handle routine tasks such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry. You will also need to consider your access to water and electricity, as well as how you will store and dispose of waste.
- Join a Community: Living aboard a sailboat can be a solitary lifestyle, but it doesn’t have to be. Consider joining a sailing community or club, where you can connect with other sailors and share experiences. This can also provide access to resources and support, such as advice on repairs and maintenance.
Becoming a live aboard cruiser is an exciting and challenging lifestyle choice. With careful planning and preparation, you can set sail and embark on a unique and fulfilling adventure on the open sea.
The benefits of learning to become a liveaboard sailing cruiser?
- Freedom and Flexibility: Learning to sail and becoming a live aboard cruiser provides you with a great deal of freedom and flexibility. You can travel to different destinations, explore new places, and set your schedule.
- Cost-Effective: Living aboard a sailboat can be a cost-effective way of living. While the initial investment in a boat can be significant, once you own your boat, your living expenses can be significantly reduced.
- Connection to Nature: Living aboard a sailboat allows you to connect with the natural environment. You can experience the tranquility of the sea, the beauty of the stars, and the sound of the waves, providing a sense of peace and serenity.
- Adventure and Exploration: Living aboard a sailboat provides the opportunity for adventure and exploration. You can discover new places, experience different cultures, and meet new people.
More benefits of becoming a liveaboard sailor?
- Self-Sufficiency: Living aboard a sailboat requires a certain level of self-sufficiency. You must be able to handle routine tasks such as cooking, cleaning, and maintenance, and be able to manage your resources such as food, water, and fuel.
- Problem-Solving and Resourcefulness: Sailing requires a great deal of problem-solving and resourcefulness. You must be able to navigate changing conditions, handle emergencies, and manage unexpected situations.
- Health and Wellness: Living aboard a sailboat can promote a healthy and active lifestyle. Sailing requires physical activity and fresh air,while living on the water can provide a sense of calm and relaxation.
- Community and Camaraderie: The sailing community is a close-knit group, providing opportunities for socializing, making new friends, and finding support and advice from fellow sailors.
Learning how to sail and becoming a live aboard cruiser can provide a range of benefits, including freedom, adventure, connection to nature, and a sense of self-sufficiency. It can be a fulfilling and rewarding lifestyle choice for those who have a love of the sea and a desire to explore the world.
Join Britican and learn to sail!
- Expert Guidance: The Britican Experience is led by Captain Simon, who has years of experience in sailing and cruising. He offers expert guidance on all aspects of sailing, from navigation to boat maintenance.
- Hands-On Learning: The Britican Experience provides hands-on learning, allowing students to apply what they’ve learned in a real-world setting. This helps to build confidence and develop practical skills.
- Personalized Instruction: The Britican Experience offers personalized instruction, catering to the needs and skill level of each student. This ensures that every student receives the attention they need to succeed.
- Variety of Experience: The Britican Experience offers a variety of bespoke offerings, ranging from beginner to advanced levels. Students can choose the experience that best fits their skill level and goals.
- Focus on Safety: The Britican Experience places a strong emphasis on safety. Students are taught to prioritize safety and make decisions that ensure the well-being of everyone on board.
- Beautiful Setting: The Britican Experience takes place in a beautiful setting, with the opportunity to sail in clear blue waters and explore exotic destinations.
- Community: The Britican Experience provides a sense of community and camaraderie. Students can connect with other like-minded individuals, share their experiences, and build lasting friendships.
Learning to sail on Britican can provide a range of benefits, including expert guidance, hands-on learning, personalized instruction, a variety of courses, a focus on safety, a beautiful setting, and a sense of community. It’s an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to develop sailing skills and gain experience in a real-world setting. Apply now: Britican Experience