We’ve had a long history of trying to get our CopperCoat antifoul to work. After paying an initial fee of well over $10,000 to get our boat sanded back to the gel coat and an application of the copper-based paint we discovered months later that the application did not work. Our boat was full of barnacles. Fast-forward three years and over $10,000 more invested. It looks as if our story might have a positive ending. Watch the video and read below for more.
CopperCoat Antifoul Application Video
Let’s back up on our story to when we first realized we had issues.
After complaining to the boatyard, Bennett Brothers, about our issues, CopperCoat USA then got involved to help sort things out. Instead of sorting the whole boat out the USA representative had the boatyard redo various patches on the hull. Needless to say, after sailing from the States to Trinidad, around 1700 miles, we were disappointed to find that all the patches that were redone had absolutely no barnacles but the rest of the boat was full of them. So…the new paint job worked but it only worked in small patches!
We then pulled the boat out in Trinidad. CC sent us the paint free of charge to have yet another application. To our utter disappointment when we put the boat back in the water it was worse than before. We knew that the product worked as the patches done under the supervision of CopperCoat USA worked.
Talk about frustrating.
Based on our experiences it seemed that boatyards and even the head of CopperCoat USA didn’t quite know what they were doing. Upon seeing our results, Aquarius Marine Coatings Ltd – the manufacturers of Coppercoat (UK), contacted us and offered to once and for all solve the problem by sending a representative over.
Get the full story, as it happened, below.
- Getting CopperCoat Antifouling & Servicing This video highlights our initial antifoul application at Bennett Brothers in Wilmington, North Carolina back in 2016.
- Our CopperCoat Antifoul Story This article and video will show you the issues we had with trying to get the boatyard to take responsibility for the issues and the representative of CopperCoat USA getting involved.
- Hauling out, Med Mooring & CopperCoat Update This video will show you what the boat looked like with the patch jobs that CopperCoat USA supervised and then the next application.
- CopperCoat Antifouling Nightmare. In this article and video, I recap everything that has happened since 2016. There is one comprehensive story with a final plea for resolution from the manufacturers of CC in the UK.
- CopperCoat Tips. Check out our 7 top tips to ensuring you have a successful Application.
Any questions or comments?
Please leave them below.