What’s the number one thing a boater should do in the hopes of preventing boat engine failure? To ensure routine engine checks are completed. On Britican, we do a series of routine engine checks before EVERY voyage. In the video below, Simon will show you how he completes each check. Scroll down to view a valuable checklist too!
Preventing Boat Engine Failure Video
Below is one of the many checklists you’ll find in our book, ‘Checklists For Sailors: Passage Planning, Maintenance, Cleaning, Medical & More.’ Click the link to get our guide filled with valuable checklists.
Routine Engine, Generator, And Ancillary Checks
Pre-journey engine and ancillary checks
- Survey bilge for water, oil or fuel leaks
- Look over the engine to ensure that there are no loose connections, etc.
- Check water/coolant level
- Check oil levels
- Ensure the belt tension is correct
- Visual inspect Racors (fuel/water separator)
- Rotate the stern gland (if required)
- Ensure the sea strainers devoid of any objects
- Test the bilge pumps – automatic and manual
- Check water tank level
- Check the amount of fuel in the fuel tank
- Look at the battery charge level
- Note Fridge temperature
- Note Freezer temperature
- Check that the freezer water flow is flowing okay
- Check the air-con water flow is flow okay
- Ensure the generator oil level is correct
- Check the generator water level
- Test the generator belt tension
- Give the generator an overall survey – leaks, loose connections, etc.
- Close seacocks (if necessary)
- Close hatches, windows, and cover vents
- Give the rudder bearing greaser a twist (if necessary)
- Check that the speed log and depth gauge transponder are fitted securely and free from corrosion
When purchasing our checklists (digital or hard copy) you’ll also be provided with the option to get the Word document so that you can fully customize the checklists to suit your boat and your needs.
Checklists For Sailors – Reader Feedback
Rated 5 out of 5
Zarih Sundberg – July 1, 2018
I just started reading it and I can see how useful this is going to be. Thanks to Kim, there is no need for newbies like myself to invent the wheel all over again. I will also buy her other books. The work she has put in is astounding! A comprehensive book! Thanks!
Get your copy of Checklists For Sailors now.
Share this article and please offer your thoughts below regarding Preventing Engine Failure.
Click on a social network below to share our video and checklist. And if you have any thoughts or comments, please leave them in the comments area below.
Other Articles/Videos That Might Be Of Interest
- Passage Planning – 7 Step Checklist
- Sailboat Maintenance Checklist – 10 Critical Daily/Weekly Checks
- How To Provision and Prepare Your Boat For Passage
- Necessary Kit to Have On Your Boat
Also…Check Out These Other Resources
- Check out all our checklist articles and videos here: Checklists
- Get 50+ Checklist Suggestions here: Suggested Checklists For Sailors
- Also, check out our shop for a variety of guides that include checklists here: Britican Shop
Leave a Comment