Sailing to a new country can be daunting for the first few times. It’s best to understand the process and learn tips and tricks before you go. So, what’s the procedure to book in? How about booking out? What information to do you need to supply? Where can things go terribly wrong? Are there any tips to make the process easier, faster and less painful? What about spear guns, real guns, and pets? What about booking into the US of A?! That’s a big topic in its own right. Watch the video and then read below for a checklist on what we bring with us every time we enter and leave a country.
Sailing To A New Country Video
Sailing To A New Country Checklist
When clearing into new countries you need a variety of documents and knowledge of certain information like your MMSI number, EPIRB number, average fuel consumption, engine horsepower and more. Here’s a checklist of what to bring when you go into Customs and Immigration when entering a new country for the first time.
Must have documentation:
- The paperwork from the last country you left
- All the passports of your crew and guests (including any necessary visas)
- A cheat sheet listing all the key information about the boat (Britican club members and Patron Patrons have access to our ‘Clearing Into Countries Cheat Sheet’).
- Certificate of Registry (for the boat)
- Ship Radio License
- Insurance documents
- Bill of Sale
- Tax declaration
- Special cruising permits (e.g. US Cruising Permit)
- Certificate of life raft packing and conformity
- Company certification (if the boat is registered to a company)
We also keep in the same binder, the following:
- Certificates of proficiency (First Aid, Medical Care Aboard Ships, PADI Certificates
- Associations we’re affiliated with (e.g. Army Sailing Association)
- Photocopies of our passports
- Photocopies of our boat documents
Other How-To or Questions Answered Resources
- Questions Answered About Liveaboard Life
- Three Things That All Liveaboards Must Know
- The 11 Secrets To Long Term Cruising
Get On The Fast Track To Living Your Sailing Dreams
Join the Britican Club and get our personal support. Get premium content (to see some examples, visit our Members Only area) and access to all of our helpful sailing guides (view all the guides here) and a direct email/phone line to Simon, Kim and Sienna to discuss how we can help you to make your sailing dreams come true. More here: Britican Club
Come sailing with us – Britican Sailing Experience. Come join us for a week-long sailing experience! We’ve opened our boat to singles, couples, and families (up to four people) for a week-long liveaboard experience. Come enjoy the tropical beauty of Grenada and the Grenadines while learning how to sail, understanding what it takes to become a liveaboard boatie and much more. Get the full scoop here: The Britican Experience
Any Questions or Comments?
Please leave them below. If you have any special tips about booking in or out of countries, we’d love to hear about them!