Carriacou is a Carib word meaning, “island surrounded by reefs.’ Upon approach, your eye’s will smile when they see the tropical turquoise waters marking the shallows. The Winward Island of Carriacou is located below St Vincent & Grenadines chain of islands and above the large island of Grenada. There are around 10,000 people that live on the island and many are of the friendliest people we’ve come across.
There’s a small town charm to the island.
The people make a living from fishing, boat building, and farming. No large cruise ships or tourist boats descend upon the quiet island making it more authentic than most. The video below showcases our very first visit to Carriacou. Since the video, we’ve been back at least 10 more times. We’ve taken a land trip checking out every corner of the island, tested out other anchorages and discovered Grenada’s largest gem – Sandy Island. Sandy is a wildlife reserve so the fish are protected. The reef is AMAZING. It’s like swimming in an aquarium. I even had a Medical Emergency on a deserted island there! Enjoy the video…
Sailing To Carriacou
Resources mentioned in the Sailing to Carriacou Video
- Chris Doyle Guide to the Windward Islands: The guide covers the four main Windward Islands including Martinique, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and the Grenadines and Grenada, as well as exploring many of the smaller sister islands. Check it out on Amazon.com And if you want to check out Chris Doyle’s listings on sailors hikes, visit: DoyleGuides.comKeep in mind, however, that we all got lost on several occasions using the Tyrrel Bay instructions 😉
- Join the Britican Club and get even more goodies. Get premium content (to see some examples, visit our Members Only area) and access to all of our helpful sailing guides (view all the guides here) and a direct email/phone line to Simon, Kim and Sienna to discuss how we can help you to make your sailing dreams come true. More here: Britican Club
- Come sailing with us – Britican Sailing Experience. Come join us for a week-long sailing experience! We’ve opened our boat to singles, couples, and families (up to four people) for a week-long liveaboard experience. Come enjoy the tropical beauty of Grenada and the Grenadines while learning how to sail, understanding what it takes to become a liveaboard boatie and much more. Get the full scoop here: The Britican Experience
And There’s More!
- Get a quick start on becoming a Liveaboard Cruiser. Buy one or all of our guides – they’re easy-to-read (no jargon), will get you pointed in the right direction and they’ll most likely help you to save $1000’s by sharing what to do/what not to do/tips, tricks and secrets. Take advantage of our special offer today. Sailing Britican Guides Special Offer
- Become a Patron and get special goodies! Get premium content (view examples here Members Only), get to watch all our videos days before they’re live to the public and have VIP responses to your questions. Find out more here: Patreon Patron
- Buy a Funny Sailing T-shirt for you or a loved one. Grab one of our funny nautical t-shirts or other gifts in our Etsy Shop
Sailing To Carriacou Photo Gallery
Any questions, comments or feedback?
Please leave your thoughts below. We appreciate hearing from you 🙂